Science Behind the Headlines: Marine Parks and ‘No-Take’ Zones
November edition of Science Behind the Headlines looked at the issues of marine parks and ‘no-take’ zones as proposed earlier in 2012 by the federal government.
Both sides of politics claim the science is on their side but under the politics the science appears one-sided and in favour of marine parks.
Just what is the science underpinning marine parks and are we being duped by the media into a false debate? Is the campaign opposing the ban to recreational fishing scientifically justifiable or just PR? Has the focus of the content switched from the science to politics and emotion?
RiAus Director and moderator Paul Willis on the night discussed marine parks with media representatives and experts: Joseph Milton – Media Officer at the Australian Science Media Centre, Tory Shepherd – Writer/Editor at ThePunch.com.au, Peter Fairweather – Professor Marine Ecology, Flinders University,David Williamson – Postdoctoral Research Fellow, ARC Centre of Excellence Coral Reef Studies.
Our expert panel will consider various media articles including:
See the Storify
To accompany some events RiAus produces teacher resources that enable teachers to use this material in the classroom. Please find the links below to resources relevant to this event and click here for a list of all Science Behind the Headlines teacher Resources
Click here for the Critical Literacy & The Media pack
Click here for the Reasoning Skills Checklist
Click here for the ‘SBTH: Marine Parks’ Teacher Resource pack
In association with AusSMC
This project is supported by the Inspiring Australia Initiative and Australian Department of Innovation, Industry, Science, Research and Tertiary Education.
Related Past Events:
- Step into the garden: Fascinating plant tours
- ECR Network September: How to Partner With Industry
- Lost In Translation: Evidence-based healthcare
- Book Club: Ian Frazer: The man who saved a million lives
- The ACEAS Great Debate: Will European land use devastate Australia’s unique biodiversity?
- Compost chemistry and microbe management
- A Week In Science (Podcast) – 19 July 2013
- Telomeres and The Biological Clock
- Storytelling for Science
- The Marine Park Network – A Great Idea or Eco-Extremism?