Café Scientifique: Xenotransplantation – the solution to our organ shortage?
Recent awareness programs about Australian organ donation has highlighted the shortage of organs for transplantation. One potential solution may be xenotransplantation – taking organs from animals and transplanting them into humans.
Is this a feasible way forward, or is it sci-fi fantasy? And what are the ethical and social issues around this?
Our panel of experts talked about Xenotransplantation following by a Q&A session with the audience discussing and questioning the direction Australia should be considering.
The panel of speakers:
Dr Toby Coates from the Royal Adelaide Hospital
Professor Anthony D’Apice from St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
Dr Bernadette Richards from the University of Adelaide
View videos from the event
Picture courtesy Signe Karin of Flickr
Related Past Events:
- Lost In Translation: Evidence-based healthcare
- ECR Network September: How to Partner With Industry
- The Science Exchange: Historic Tour
- The Clock: Special Performance with a Science of Ageing Panel Discussion
- Science in the Pub with The Bad Astronomer!
- National Science Week 2013!
- Telomeres and The Biological Clock
- A Week In Science (Podcast) – 19 July 2013
- Governor-General Praises RiAus
- Unfair Resource Partitioning within a family unit