Café Scientifique: Xenotransplantation – the solution to our organ shortage?
Recent awareness programs about Australian organ donation has highlighted the shortage of organs for transplantation. One potential solution may be xenotransplantation – taking organs from animals and transplanting them into humans.
Is this a feasible way forward, or is it sci-fi fantasy? And what are the ethical and social issues around this?
Our panel of experts talked about Xenotransplantation following by a Q&A session with the audience discussing and questioning the direction Australia should be considering.
The panel of speakers:
Dr Toby Coates from the Royal Adelaide Hospital
Professor Anthony D’Apice from St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
Dr Bernadette Richards from the University of Adelaide
View videos from the event
Picture courtesy Signe Karin of Flickr
Related Past Events:
- Lost In Translation: Evidence-based healthcare
- Susan Greenfield Live - A Day in the Life of the Brain
- ECR Network September: How to Partner With Industry
- The Science Exchange: Historic Tour
- Science in the Pub with The Bad Astronomer!
- National Science Week 2013!
- The science of twins!
- Science Meets Parliament: Day 2
- Governor-General Praises RiAus
- What Your Tongue Won’t Tell You About Taste