Café Scientifique: Xenotransplantation – the solution to our organ shortage?
Recent awareness programs about Australian organ donation has highlighted the shortage of organs for transplantation. One potential solution may be xenotransplantation – taking organs from animals and transplanting them into humans.
Is this a feasible way forward, or is it sci-fi fantasy? And what are the ethical and social issues around this?
Our panel of experts talked about Xenotransplantation following by a Q&A session with the audience discussing and questioning the direction Australia should be considering.
The panel of speakers:
Dr Toby Coates from the Royal Adelaide Hospital
Professor Anthony D’Apice from St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
Dr Bernadette Richards from the University of Adelaide
View videos from the event
Picture courtesy Signe Karin of Flickr
Related Past Events:
- Susan Greenfield Live - A Day in the Life of the Brain
- ECR Network September: How to Partner With Industry
- Lost In Translation: Evidence-based healthcare
- Science in the Pub with The Bad Astronomer!
- The Science Exchange: Historic Tour
- The science of twins!
- Science Meets Parliament: Day 2
- National Science Week 2013!
- What Your Tongue Won’t Tell You About Taste
- Science Meets Parliament: Day 1