STEM Career Resources
STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
One of our aims is to make students aware of careers in STEM and the importance of STEM in their everyday lives. We know that not every student will become a scientist or mathematician, and that is the way it ought to be, but we do want every student to be aware of the role that STEM plays in their everyday lives and how imperative it is that society’s STEM knowledge continues to grow. This awareness includes an understanding and appreciation of what makes science strong, namely, the scientific method, as well as an idea of what day to day work is entailed.
All RiAus education resources are aimed at middle and secondary school teachers and we provide a range of products for teachers’ own development or to be taken directly into the classroom. Our STEM career resources fall into two categories:
- STEM career Resources
- STEM career videos
Click on the tabs above to find out more about these free resources and to watch, download and print.
Are you unfamiliar with ‘STEM’? Perhaps your students are? Watch this animation to find out more.
STEM Career Resources
Click the images to download the resources
STEM Career Resources are aimed at upper primary, middle school teachers and careers counsellors. The resources include interview footage and classroom activities aligned to the Australian Curriculum. The interviews feature scientists, engineers and mathematicians talking about their work, education and everyday life. The STEM Careers Resources are available to watch, print and download for free, in perpetuity.
The resources aim to:
- make students aware of STEM careers and develop their understanding of the importance of STEM in their everyday lives through video content and classroom activities
- address the Australian Curriculum: Science, Science as a Human Endeavour
- show scientists, engineers and mathematicians as real people with whom students can identify
- highlight STEM careers which are in need of workers now and in the future
The resources are designed to be:
- taken directly into the classroom. The tasks are scripted for teachers and include answers and anticipated responses. The videos can be watched in conjunction with the classroom tasks or can viewed independently
- flexible and adaptable to various year levels and abilities
- to be used in conjunction with Science Understanding and Science Inquiry Skills resources and units of work
STEM Career Packs are written and published by RiAus in partnership with DECD (Department for Education and Child Development)
STEM Career Videos
Below you’ll find a wide range of videos for students. Some are designed to inform students about STEM careers, others are aimed at breaking down the stereotypical view of scientists, engineers and mathematicians… showing them as people that students can identify with.
As we create more videos they’ll appear here so keep watching this space or sign up for our Education Newsletter to keep up to date.
There are heaps of clips to watch so click through the playlists and watch them all
Animations and Other Footage